Wednesday 24 September 2014

Cocktails @ Hinky Dinks

Cocktails are always fun and when you have friends visiting from overseas and it's their birthday why not choose Hinky Dinks for a fun, quirky, retro and brilliant venue for a cocktail or three.
 
Great cocktail menu
 
It's all about the cocktails here.  So many to choose from.  So I go with something really fun!  Popcorn in a cocktail. Why not?
 


Popcorn Paloma - popcorn infused tequila with fresh vanilla syrup, salt and topped with sparkling grapefruit soda

This was so refreshing and could have stayed on these all night.  The caramel popcorn is toffee like with a hint of salt and floats on the surface of the jar. 
 

 
Cocktails need snacks so we ordered the salsa and corn chips to nibble on.

Birthday girl and me 
 
Love this girl to bits.  We haven't seen each other since I moved from Dubai over 3 years ago. Celebrating her birthday in Sydney was awesome! I miss her.....

 
I feel we are going to work our way through the list and go with the Automobile (pictured front) next.  Mixology of Tanqueray Gin, fresh lime, a dash of grenadine, fresh mint & ginger beer.  Another winner!  Okay, I'll admit THIS is the one I could drink all night.  Again, refreshing.  I love ginger beer in drinks.

 I am led to believe that the fancy yellow cocktail in the background is a Glenlivet & Let Die - mixed with 12 year old Glenlivet, amaro, orange sherbert reduction, fresh lemon, egg whites, orange sugar crust rim.  It looks fancy and girly and we have a giggle as Mr Fu sips on it.

 
The boys behind the bar are friendly and fun and will help you out with whatever tastes you have.  The bar has a retro 50's feel to it and I like the old fashion bar....but I love the pineapple jar on the counter!

 
Next up for Mr Fu is a old fashioned Manhattan (I think).  I know this wasn't on the menu.  I may have become a little less observant by this stage.

 
 To finish off the cocktail session (before heading to more cocktails and dinner) we end with a Dr Gonzo which has Mezcal, cherry brandy, Benedictine, triple sec, fresh lime topped with pineapple juice, raspberry syrup and a dash of bitters.


Not sure what I was thinking with this one.  I'm not a cherry brandy person (or anything cherry except for fresh cherries) so this was an odd choice for me.  Not the favourite of the night I'm afraid, but that's just my taste buds.  Still drinkable though.
 
Hinky Dinks is a great little cocktail bar in Darlinghurst and is the perfect place to meet friends or for a hot date! 
 
 
Hinky Dinks on Urbanspoon

1 comment: