Thursday 21 August 2014

Taste Orange @ Sydney (Martin Place)

Luck was on their side today as the the heavens held off the rain for the opening of Taste Orange in Martin Place.  It's on until Friday.  Wine tastings and food during the day and there is a pop up bar on Thursday night (also last night) along with music and food.

I popped down early to beat the crowds and managed to have a good chat to a few of the wineries. 


 
First stop has to be Ross Hill Wines.  I have been a fan of Ross Hill wines since I first tasted their reds at the Taste Orange 2012.
 
I particularly like the Pinnacle Series Shiraz 2012 that is on offer today. This vintage has been awarded the top Shiraz in New South Wales by Huon Hooke. Always a pleasure.
 
 
Orange grapes are grown at higher altitude and cooler climes. It's perfect conditions for wine grapes, along with some of the best fruit in New South Wales including apples and stone fruit, amongst others (and no, oranges do not grow in Orange due to the cooler climate).
 
 
 
Second stop is Tamburlaine Organic Wines.  So, I have been a long time drinker of Tamburlaine.  It was recommended to me on a visit to the Hunter Valley many years ago when I mentioned that I sometimes had a reaction, which turned out to be sulphur, to some wines.  Being organic there is very low usuage of sulphur dioxide.
 
After a few tastings, I signed up as Wineclub member and enjoyed many bottles of Reserve wines.  However, when I moved overseas for a few years I stopped the membership.....and since returning have been meaning to sign up again....and I think it's time!
 
Although the Cellar door (and some vineyards) are in the Hunter Valley, Tamburlaine also have vineyards and a range of wonderful wines in Orange.  
 
Over at The Agrestic Grocer, there is a range of jams to be tasted.  I end up with a jar of a awesome burnt fig jam (perfect for a recipe I want to try).  Also grab yourself a unpolished, unwaxed fresh apple or pear!
 


 
 
 Fresh Fodder has a new offering in dips.  It's the Smoky Roe taramasalata and it's devine.  The smokiness throughout this taramasalata is only a hint but makes a huge impact (on me at least).

 
A Slice of Orange is a regional providore in Orange and works with local farmers and artisan producers to bring the seasonal products to you easily.  They sell a range of products from the region in store or online.  Their philosophy is local - and that's the way it should be. 

 
If you are in and around the city, get down to Martin Place over the next couple of days and have a looksy.  Orange is a beautiful part of New South Wales and I can't wait to visit again (I haven't been since I was a kid)....I will get there soon!


1 comment:

  1. Wow they were very lucky with rain. Hope it holds out tomorrow too!

    ReplyDelete