Monday 31 March 2014

Seafood and eat it - an afternoon in Roo's Kitchen

I have been browsing my many cookbooks and cooking magazines looking for inspiration.  I haven't been busy in the kitchen lately and browsing my cookbooks is a favourite past time of mine and inspiring.

My eye was caught by a recipe I found in one of my many Feast magazines and decided to give it a go.

I headed to Faros Bros at Sydenham to pick up some sashimi grade tuna.  Unfortunately they didn't have any in stock so I opted for some salmon instead, along with some Australian scallops and some cooked small Australian tiger prawns (which I had for lunch today).  Faros is my new go to place for fresh, quality seafood.  There is always an abundance on offer.

So I spent the afternoon in the kitchen whipping these delights up. (on top of sorting through all my junk and storage to get rid of ....I'm having a clean out!)




I made Oshazuke - which is a dish of salmon (or tuna), rice and green tea.  It looked delicious (but I'm not biased or anything).  The dish came out perfectly, however I wasn't a big fan of the green tea as the broth.


  
pouring the green tea into the dish

the art of japanese


I also made some grilled scallops on the shell with a ginger and shallot oil.  These were super delicious. The oil is so easy to make.  Just heat peanut oil in a pan until smoking add ginger, shallots and 1/2 tsp of salt and let cool.  Drizzle over anything!

 
scallops on the half shell


I had some salmon left over so I made salmon and cucumber sushi rolls and sashimi.  I was going to add avocado but they were not ripe.  I have to say I wasn't impressed with my sushi rolls.  I didn't season the rice with vinegar and they were pretty tasteless.  I need to go back to my Sake Restaurant recipe and do it over. The sashimi was good though.

sushi and sashimi

So my Sunday consisted of packing up my junk, sorting out my spare room and cooking some fresh seafood.  How did you spend your Sunday?

2 comments:

  1. A pretty good effort! Our family always heads to Faros for the Xmas seafood spread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seafood menu at Roo's Kitchen seems great.. Hope to dine in here as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete