Monday 10 March 2014

Eats outside of Disneyland Parks

There were a few non-park meals too on my recent trip to Disneyland.  In and around the resorts. 

First up.  Breakfasts.

Mimis Cafe


Fuelling up for a day of Disney, I had the Pomme Lyonnaise Benedict - potato galettes topped with hickory-smoked bacon, sauteed spinach, sliced tomatoes, poached eggs and traditional hollandaise. Served with fresh-cut fruit.

Very good. The eggs are poached to soft (but not oozy) and the hollandaise is creamy with a slight tang. Great start to the day.

Millies Country Kitchen



 
Breakfast is an important meal. I love my breakfasts.  Eggs with corned hash, sausage patty and buttermilk biscuit.  Three eggs were a bit to much and I didn't get through it all but it hit the spot.
 
Over at Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar in the Disneyland Hotel, I had an afternoon break from the parks.  Inside it's a tiki hut style bar.  Perched at the end with a bird's eye view of the funky bar, I sipped on a Hippopotomai Tai with both light and dark rum, orange curacao, almond syrup, agave nectar and lime juice.  It was refreshingly delicious!

 
Something to nibble on perhaps - why not Ahi Poke with Sushi-grade Ahi, Avocado, Wasabi Yuzu, Sriracha Aioli and Wonton Chips. This dish is very refreshing. I love the combination of tuna and avocado in this dish.
Ahi Poke

Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar
 
A visit to the USA has to include dinner at Denny's.  This particular night I was cold and extremely tired.  I just wanted comfort food and veggies.  So I ordered the country fried streak with Parmesan mash and grilled zucchini and squash.  It was a very simple meal but hit the spot!  The fried steak was perfect and the sausage gravy smothered on top just made it even better.  Denny's was super crowded though and I did have to wait for about 20 minutes.  Denny's is across from the Entrance to Disneyland so a convenient stop for families leaving the park for a quick dinner so it does get busy around dinner time.

Country fried steak with sausage gravy and mash
 
Thanksgiving I found myself at the other institution that is the USA, IHOP!  The parks were manic busy naturally so after spending a very full and crazy day in the park I needed to get out for a bit.  So a IHOP turkey dinner was in need.  Nothing fancy pants - just tender turkey and gravy, broccoli and mash potato with a red currant sauce. Perfect enough for me.  I will admit that I felt a little lonely on thanksgiving sitting in IHOP (I did refuse to go to Denny's for Thanksgiving - perhaps I've seen to many sad and lonely Christmas movies!)

turkey day dinner
 
 
If you ever find yourself near The Cheesecake Factory, get there for Happy Hour.  I was seated at the bar area and found myself ordering $5 Happy Hour specials.  The bar is a busy spot, people dropping by for a pre-dinner drink, watching a game on the TV, girls enjoying a cocktail or two and generally everyone taking advantage of Happy Hour. The place is buzzing!


JW's pink lemonade - skyy vodka, raspberry liqueur and fresh lemonade
 
 
crab wontons
 
Crispy crab wontons with crabmeat blended with cream cheese, green onions, water chestnuts and sweet chilli sauce.  These were crispy deep fried wontons encased around crab and cream cheese. Very good particularly dipped in the sweet chilli sauce for a zap of chilli. 
 

crab and artichoke dip
 
Warm crab and artichoke dip  with crab, artichokes and cheese with grilled bread.  Creamy and good chunks of crab.
 
Both these dishes were tasty but I think I may have overdosed on crab and cream cheese.....
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment