Tuesday 11 June 2013

BBQ with Jamie Oliver


Like many, I wish Jamie Oliver could be a guest at one of my BBQ's, but I had to be happy enough with cooking a few of his recipes from Jamie's America cookbook.

I'll confess, it took me a long time to 'discover' Jamie Oliver's cookbooks.  Of course, I watched TV shows and flicked through Naked Chef cookbooks, but just never got into the hype (I know where have I been) but it was after seeing Jamie's American series and hence the purchasing of the cookbook that I became a big fan! Now I'm hooked!  Why did it take so long?  I can highly recommend the cookbook.

Anyways, I'm a convert now!

This particular weekend (going back 18 months or so!) I decided to cook for the folks and lil' brother. I hadn't been back in Sydney that long and was slowly settling into Sydney life.  I hadn't cooked for the family in a very long time.  I wanted to wow them with my inner domestic goddess (hahah).  It was nearing the end of summer but it was a cold, blustery, rainy day. Not great BBQ weather but perfect for slow cooking some ribs!

The ribs take about 7 hours in the oven.  So I spent the morning preparing the rub and marinades, shoved the ribs in the oven and  left the house to go test drive some cars (as one does)!

Five hours later I came home to a house full of wonderful BBQ aroma and a new car!  I'm not sure which I was more excited about?

So what did I actually cook?

Daisy May's BBQ Ribs,  Chili Cheese Cornbread and an Apple and Walnut Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing with corn cobs on the side

Daisy May's BBQ Ribs


The ribs were succulent and meaty and were very tender. In the photo they look a little dry but they weren't. They could have had another hour in the oven for more fall of the bone tenderness but I've learnt that for next time.

Chilli Cheese Cornbread

The cornbread was rich with cheese and jalapeno chillis and had a dense texture with some crumb but was delicious.
Apple & Walnut Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing

This was surprisingly a very crunchy fresh salad, despite the blue cheese dressing being a little heavier.  This was a big hit.

The family demolished the meal, so I'm thinking it was a huge success. My brother raved about the cornbread that I froze the leftovers into portions for him to eat over the next few weeks.  It was gone within 3 days! I will admit that I had the cornbread for breakfast one morning, toasted with lots of butter and a poached egg! YUM.

This was the first time cooking a Jamie Oliver meal and it won't be my last!

No comments:

Post a Comment