Monday 9 September 2013

Baking: Friands - Lemon Curd and Raspberry and White Chocolate



We all know I’m not much of a baker but I am learning and trying out new recipes. I don’t eat baked goods very often so when the urge hits to bake something I know I have my guinea pigs at work to test on. The boys never let me down!
 
I have owned friand pans for awhile and use them to bake mini meatloaves but this weekend it was time to actually make a friand.
 
I found an easy lemon curd friand recipe in an Australian Woman's Weekly cookbook  and seeing as I have a huge jar of lemon curd in the fridge to use up it was a no brainer. Using the base recipe I also decided to be 'daring' and do a raspberry and white chocolate friand too.
 
I could not believe how easy the recipe is and I am really happy with the results (and seeing how the friands disappeared as soon as I came into the office I think the boys agreed!). I am quite proud that I didn't burn them!
 
Base Recipe
  • 6 egg whites
  • 1 cup of almond meal
  • 1 ½ cups of icing sugar, sifted
  • 1 cup of plain flour, sifted
  • 185g melted butter
  • Lemon curd
  • 1/2 Frozen raspberries
  • White chocolate chips
 
 
Method
 
  • Preheat oven at 200 (180 for a fan forced oven)
  • Sift dry ingredients into bowl
  • Whisk egg whites until just combined
  • Add to dry ingredients
  • Add melted butter
  • Grease friend pan
  • Pour into pan
 
*For the lemon curd friands - bake in the oven for 10 minutes then glaze the top of each friend with 1 teaspoon of lemon curd and bake for a further 10 minutes.
 
*For the raspberry and white chocolate friands – place 3-4 frozen raspberries into the recipe mix and a few white chocolate pieces push them into the mix. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
 
  • Take out of the oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a rack to cool complete.
  • Dust with icing sugar (which I forgot to do).
 
These were incredibly moist and full of flavour. The lemon curd ones seemed to ‘caramelise’ and became a bit toffee like on top.  They were tart and delicious. 
 
The raspberry and white chocolate one was sweet and crumbly.
 
These were a hit and so easy to whip up I will be certainly adding them to my repertoire! Perhaps I will become a baker eventually?
 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful looking friands, I love the sounds of the flavour! I must admit I don't own a friand pan but maybe I should invest in one.. especially with your idea of making mini meatloaves with them - genius!

    ReplyDelete