Monday 26 May 2014

WDW: 50's Prime Time Cafe


Lately there has been a lot of talk and planning amongst friends who are heading to either Disneyland or Walt Disney World later in the year and I'm getting the Disney blues.  I want to go to my happy place too (really!). So to combat the Disney blues I am still pulling out Disney dining from my past travels. There are a few more memorable meals that I want to share.

So here is a special meal from WDW from 2010. 50’s Prime Time Cafe in Hollywood Studios. A blast from the past – takes you back to your grandma’s kitchen (well not mine, I don’t remember it ever being like that) but definitely from the 50’s and 60’s.  At total time warp!

After a few minutes waiting in the loungeroom - complete with black and white TV set, my "mum" Adrienne met me in the lounge room and took me through to the dining room to my table.  She then introduced me to all my cousins (other diners around me), telling me to set the table, mind my manners and definitely no elbows on the table!

She really does sound like my mum (except with an American accent).


Next thing ‘mum’ sits down next to me for a chat. Asks me how my day was and what I would like for lunch. Remember it’s Disney and a lot of restaruants are themed/in character dining and it’s fabulous. I look over to another section and another ‘mum’ is feeding one of the cousins with the aeroplane because he hadn’t eaten all his green beans.

The old black and white tv’s hanging in the corner are playing reruns of old ‘Leave it to Beaver’ and 'Mr Ed' episodes (amongst other golden oldies) and the frilly curtains flitting in the kitchen windows really make for the scene. It’s the little touches like these that make Disney so magic.







I’m loving this atmosphere.

Like any Disney Foodie I have been planning my dining choices and browsing menus for over 6 months – don’t call me crazy – it’s a necessity (Tip if planning WDW and dining – you need to make your advanced dining reservations (or ADR’s) 6 months in advance) There were many reservations that I missed out on and had to replan for the entire 2 week trip, and I did book 6 month before!). Check out the forums on www.disboards.com for tips and all things WDW.

Anyway, I was very prepared.

First up - gotta have a milkshake. A Peanut Butter and Jelly Milk Shake

PB&J Milk Shake
 
A totally new flavour sensation for me...and definitely to die for! Served in a traditional stainless steel cup. This was the flavour bomb.
 
 
Entree and main I went with onion rings and southern fried chicken, a 'typical' american meal.  I will admit the pot roast was looking good too.
 
Beer Battered Onion Rings for two
 
These were perfect with the horseradish sauce. Hot, crunchy and delectable. I only managed a few, didn't want to waste space for the rest of the meal.


Aunt Liz's Golden Fried Chicken with mashed potato, chicken gravy and southern greens

The chicken was finger licken' good. Hot, crispy, crunchy and with just the right amount of grease dripping from it. Very tasty! The mash was good and creamy and the gravy was delish...I had not tried Southern Greens before and they were OK (not what I was expecting). Tangy and ‘sour’ they are an acquired taste?

 

Yes I had leftovers and thankfully ‘mum’ didn’t make me do the aeroplane. I did take the milkshake with me to go. Portions are big (like most things Disney) so I had no room for dessert – I got the brownie that to go (as I was on a dining plan which included dessert).


1 comment:

  1. Gah Southern Fried Chicken! And yes I remember being a little disappointed by collard greens when I first had them too, but I think they do work to help cut through the richness of the fried. lol

    ReplyDelete