Thursday 20 February 2014

Magical Disneyland Dining

I'm home!  Disneyland in Anaheim is a special place for me.  I have visited the original Disney four times in my life and I know it isn't my last.  I'm a Disney girl at heart.  This visit coincided with the Christmas Season so Disneyland was decked out with all the decorations, seasonal menus and the Christmas Spirit - Disney really know how to do it!
 

It's a ritual to meet Minnie (and Mickey) on arrival (and as many other characters as possible as I make my way down Main Street).

  
Minnie Mouse in her Christmas outfit
 
I then stand in the middle of Main Street and take in the wonderful sight of the castle. One day my Prince will come!
 
 
 
Nothing like a spin in the Madhatter's Tea Cups to work up an appetite!
 
 

teacups
 
But onto the food.....
 
Over in Critter country the Hungry Bear counter service dishes up some great sandwiches and burgers, but it's the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich  that's got me sold. Cornmeal crusted fried green tomatoes layered with two slices of fresh heirloom tomatoes, topped with havarti, remoulade, jicama-mango slaw and served on a multi-grain roll.   Serve with fries (or upgrade to sweet potato fries as I do).
 
This was a great sandwich.  I love fried green tomatoes and the crispy cornmeal coating gives it extra crunch.  The jicama mango slaw is tangy and crunchy too.  I did find the roll to 'bready' but that is because I don't really eat a lot of bread. It fills me up to much...but I did eat all the filling.  The sweet potato fries are cold (they were warm when served) but they retained some crispiness to them and were very delicious regardless.
 
fried green tomatoes and sweet potato fries


More park fun before dinner over in Adventureland at the Bengal BBQ counter service.  I'll have one Safari Skewer, which is Bacon Wrapped Asparagus  and one Outback Vegetable Skewer .  The Safari skewer is fabulous.  Still slightly al dente asparagus wrapped in salty bacon and thrown on the barbie.  The Outback veggie skewer was tasty but a little more on the al dente side than I would have preferred (but I also needed veggies!).

 
I know I said I don't eat alot of bread, but the  Jalapeno Cheese-Filled Pretzel just sounded so good.  Hot and oozing cheese in the middle, the spiciness of the jalapeno just a hint in the cheese, it didn't disappoint.  Even though I only had a few bites over a few hours!
 
hot pretzels filled with gooey cheese

My favourite princess. Princess Merida.  Strong and Independent....she is my hero.


I spent alot of time over in New Orleans Square (it's sort of the middle of the park and around the lake).   A nice little lunch at the French Market Restaurant had me drooling over the Market French Dip.  Lots of slow roasted beef with crispy onions straws on a freshly baked potato roll, served with cajun chips on the side and a bowl of Au Jus to dip (or pour over) your roll.   I also grabbed a New Orleans Mint Julep (non-alcoholic).  Very minty and very sweet!

 
If you can't half tell by my outfit, I'm a massive Tink fan.  Visiting the Fairies in Pixie Hollow.   Little known fact...their is a Disney Fairy that shares my (real) name.  It took awhile for Tink to guess it....as this Fairy is not commonly known (nor does she feature in the movies).

in pixe hollow
 
 
 
As a birthday present, a good friend (who is also a massive Disney nut like me) gave me some US cash to do a character visit.  Out of the few that are on offer around the Parks, I choose Minnie and Friends in Disneyland at the Plaza Inn.  I arrived early (which is a bonus as you get access to the park before everyone else) and headed straight to the Plaza Inn.  They take your photo as you enter (usually just on your own) however I was very happy to have Eeyore hanging around and jumped into my photo - made my breakfast extra Disney special.
 
 
Eeyore
 
Of course there was Minnie, Chip n' Dale (can you tell the difference between the two?), Tigger, Pooh and a few others.  Chip n' Dale are very playful and get into all kinds of mischief.

Dale
 
Meeting the Fairy Godmother.

Fairy Godmother

How magical is it when your waffles are Mickey Mouse shaped.  Drizzled with syrup.

mickey waffles are magical 


Last lunch in Cafe New Orleans Restaurant.  Quaint patio seating in the typical New Orleans/French style, again people watching and digging into yummy New Orleans Gumbo filled with chicken, andouille sausage and tasso ham and dirty rice. 

gumbo goodness
 
The one item on the menu that I was here for though is the Pommes Frites - french fried potatoes with parmesan cheese, garlic and parsley with a side of Cajun remoulade. Hot, crispy and packed with garlicy goodness. Winner!

fries with parmesan and garlic
 
 
I cannot pass up dinner at the Plaza Inn.  I always have to have the Plaza Inn Specialty Chicken.  Three pieces of fried chicken, mash, gravy, veggies and a buttermilk biscuit. Huge portions are just to big for me but it was worth it.  Sitting outside in the patio area you can people watch on Main Street and even get a glimpse of the parade.

Winner winner, chicken dinner
 
There are so many good eating options in Disneyland, it's hard to choose just a few for the five day visit.  Just ensures another visit again (SOON I HOPE!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment